Tips for Coping
The following tips can help you to better cope with Non 24-Hour Sleep Wake Disorder (Non-24), a circadian rhythm disorder:
- Help your family and friends understand about Non-24 and how it may affect your relationships. They can find information at sleepfoundation.org/non24.
- Follow your doctor’s treatment regimen and tell your doctor how the treatment is working out for you.
- If you are suffering from Non-24 and depression, be sure to seek treatment for both.
- Ask your employer for flexibility in your work hours and opportunities to work from home periodically.
- Keep up your social life with friends and family via email and social media, which you can do anytime.
- Join an online support group for people with circadian rhythm disorders.
- Drink moderate amounts of caffeine. Too much of it can actually increase fatigue by causing anxiety or withdrawal symptoms.
- Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration, which can cause fatigue.
- Limit alcohol consumption. Not only is alcohol a depressant, but it can disrupt your sleep and leave you feeling more fatigued.